Logistics Investment Opportunities in Greece
The Greek logistics sector is one of the most active sectors of the Greek economy, offering opportunities for investments.
VK PREMIUM can provide valuable assistance in the areas of market and sector analysis, opportunity assessment, due diligence, feasibility studies, project valuation, etc.
Short presentation of the active projects and investment opportunities in Greek Logistics sector.
Investing in the Greek logistics sector
Positioned at the crossroad of three continents (Europe, Asia, Africa), Greece has long been a strategic node for the development of transportation in the greater region.
Maritime transport is the most important mode of global freight transport, accounting for 80 per cent of global trade by volume and over 70 per cent by value. Traffic through South-East Mediterranean ports has been growing at more than 8% annually. Trade flows between Asia and S.E. Europe are expected to increase by 7% annually for the years to come.
In this environment, Greece’s geographical position as a gateway between East and West render it highly attractive for investments in logistics and transport to take advantage of these increasing trade flows in an efficient and cost-effective manner.
- Competitive Freight Costs – The geographical position of Greek ports allows the offering of competitive sea freight cost for transported containers, while offering access to a set of growing economies in the broader region.
- Transport Infrastructure – Continuing investment in road and rail infrastructure means that Greece’s major ports are now directly interconnected with modern road and rail links, facilitating intermodal transport of cargo onwards to their final destination quickly and cost-effectively.
- Advantageous Location: Greece is part of the EU’s Orient/East-Med Corridor that connects the maritime interfaces of the North, Baltic, Black Sea and Mediterranean.
- World Champion Shipping Sector: Greek ship owners control the world’s largest merchant fleet.
- Know-how and skilled labor – Greek manufacturing and maritime tradition ensures the availability of skilled logistics and assembly employees for the staffing of local distribution centers.
- Efficient global logistics providers: Several global 3PL providers such as Kuhne & Nagel, DHL, Schenker, Geodis, Panalpina, and Express are currently operating in Greece, Recently, a logistics network funded by the Hellenic Federation of Industries (SEV) has been created, to improve collaboration between logistics providers and the rest of the Greek economy.
Main investment opportunities
• Investments in Greek ports
• Rail and road transport investments
• Logistics centers
• Assembly and quality assurance facilities
|Trade flow through Greece growth per year||8%6|
|Trade flow through Greece 2010||€85 bn7|
|Current capacity of Piraeus port (TEU)||3.6mn8|
|Planned capacity for Piraeus||4.7mn9|